Faculty of Civil Engineering
Department: Department of Steel and Timber structures
Contact person: MSc. Tomáš Klas, PhD., MSc. Martin Magura, PhD.
Contact: +421 2 5927 4378
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
The Department teaches subjects related to the design and construction of steel and timber structures such as theory, design, construction and experimental analysis of building structures, bridges, and special engineering constructions with steel, timber and composite load-bearing systems.
The scientific, research and expert activity of the Department is focused on research, design, realization, diagnostics and reconstructions of load-bearing structures and bridges from steel, steel-concrete, timber, aluminium, glass, membranes, cables and their combinations. The research topics are material characteristics, behaviour of members and joints, stability problems, thin-walled systems, development of new types of progressive constructional systems and the effective usage of timber and its composites. The department laboratory has modern equipment to perform experiments with samples of materials and elements of load-bearing structures.
Projects, publications, cooperation:
- Local imperfections of pipeline and classification according to riskiness of gas pipeline
Research and development task for company Eustream a.s, which deals with safety and operation of transit gas pipelines.
- Analysis of real performance of pipelines in erosive areas
Research and development task for company Eustream a.s, which deals with safety and operation of transit gas pipelines in erosive areas.
- Monitoring the real performance of pipelines in risky areas by new type of gauges
Research and development task for company Eustream a.s, which deals with methodology of long-term measuring of pipelines in erosive areas by three types of strain gauges. Two of these were commercial, one was a SAV patent.
- Diagnosis and monitoring of exposed steel structures of clinker silo PC1
Research and development task for company Eustream a.s, which deals with safety and operation of clinker silo.
- Appraising the resistance of glass beams
Experimental and theoretical research of glass beams
- Experimental measurement of resistance and stiffness of timber girders with steel plate joints
Experimental and theoretical research of timber girders in cooperation with company Tectum Novum Zemné.
- Strain measurement of roof over presbyteries of St. Martin Cathedral in Bratislava during thermal refurbishment and determining the impact of thermal refurbishment on the roof load-bearing structure.
Experimental measurements on the timber load-bearing structure during thermal refurbishment in cooperation with company Thermo Sanace s.r.o., Ostrava Czech Republic
Fig. 1: In situ experimental strain measurement of steel pipeline DN1200/15,9 of transit gas-pipeline Eustream a.s at area "Posádka" by portable measuring equipment the department owns.
Fig. 2: Experimental measurement of glass beams by loading frame and press in laboratories of the Department.
Fig. 3: Long-term experimental measurement of timber girders in the premises of company Tectum Novum in Zemné.