Faculty of Civil Engineering
Department: Department of Material Engineering
Contact person: Assoc. prof. Ing. Vladimir Pavlík, PhD., Ing. Alena Struhárová, PhD.
Contact: +421 2 5927 4691, +421 2 5927 4685
e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The laboratory is composed from three cooperative laboratories that include - Laboratory of binding materials and concrete, Laboratories for testing physical and chemical properties of building materials and Laboratory for X-ray diffraction analysis, scanning electron analysis and thermal analysis. Activities of the laboratories include research, development and testing of building materials (based on cement, lime and gypsum binders), ceramics, fired clay bricks and other materials.
Recent laboratory research and expertise activities:
- modification of cement composites properties by chemical and mineral admixtures;
- use of waste materials and recycled waste in building materials;
- use of chemical admixtures as means to change pore structure of fired clay bricks
- measurement of thermo-technical parameters of building materials at various thermal and humidity conditions;
- development of mortars for repair of historical buildings;
- study of hydration and carbonation processes in lime-pozzolan binders with addition of metakaoline, zeolite and fly ash;
- corrosion of cement composites in solutions of acids and ammonium salts;
- expert evaluations on causes of damage of concrete, mortar and renders/plasters in aggressive external environment
- Aplication of admixtures based on zeolites and bentonites for modifying of pore structure of the roofing tile Project VEGA 1/0045/15, Ministry of Education SR, 2013-2015.
- Study of the hardening processes of historical and current mortars. Project VEGA 1/0534/13, Ministry of Education SR, 2013-2015.
- Application of admixtures based on zeolites and bentonites for modifying the pore structure of roofing tiles. Project VEGA 1/0517/11, Ministry of Education SR, 2011-2013.
- Correlation relations between properties of autoclaved aerated concrete and its use in the process of quality management in construction. Project VEGA 1/0472/11, Ministry of Education SR, 2011-2013.
- Study of the properties of mortars made from lime and lime-pozzolan binders for renewal of cultural heritage structures. Project VEGA 1/0621/08, Ministry of Education SR, 2008-2010.
- Monitoring of the pore structure of a brick during freezing and thawing. Project VEGA 1/0538/08, Ministry of Education SR, 2008-2010.
- Use of recycled aggregates in the production of cement composites. Project VEGA 1/0554/08, Ministry of Education SR, 2008-2010.
- Effect of the Pore Structure of Brick Shatter on the Size of a Reduction Core. Project VEGA 1/2139/05, Ministry of Education SR, 2005-2007.
- Utilization of correlation relations between the properties of autoclaved aerated concrete in a quality management system. Unčík, S. et al.: AV Project 4/0021/08.
- Degradation of Alkali-Resistant Fiberglass-Reinforced Cement Composites by Solutions of Ammonium Nitrate. Project VEGA 1/2157/05. Ministry of Education SR, 2005-2007.
- Recycling of Industrial Waste Sludges into Building Materials. Bajza, A. et. al.: COPERNICUS Project No. CIPA - CT 94-0181. Slovak Technical University, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Bratislava, 1997.
- Šveda M., Kerestúr M., Sokolář R., Nevřivová L., Unčík S: Determination of suitable raw materials for preparation of frost resistant brick body and its evaluation according to pore size distribution. In: Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, Vol. 123, 2015, No. 9, pp. 868-873.
- Unčík, S., Struhárová, A., Hlavinková, M., Sabová, A., Balkovic, S.: Effect of bulk density and moisture content on the properties of autoclaved aerated concrete. In: Cement wapno beton. Vol. XVIII/LXXX, No. 4, 2013, 189-196
- Struhárová, A.: Chemical Grouting method and Its Effectiveness for Protection of Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Masonry. In: Advanced Materials Research. Vol. 923, 2014, 112-116.
- Šveda, M. Sokolář, R.: Effect of firing temperature on the irreversible expansion, water absorption and pore structure of a brick body during freeze-thaw cycles. In: Materials Science. Vol. 19, No. 4, 2013, 465-470
- Struhárová, A.: Effect chemical grouting method on the protection of autoclaved aerated concrete masonry against water and moisture. In: 17th Conference on Environment and Mineral Processing: Ostrava, ČR, 6.-.8.6.2013. Ostrava, VŠB - Technická univerzita Ostrava, 2013, 21-23
- Matulová, K., Unčík, S.: Effect of expansive cement and waste gypsum on shrinkage of concrete. In: ATF 2013: Book of proceedings of 2nd Conference on Acoustics, Light and Thermal Physics in Architecture and Building Structures. Leuven, Belgium 2.-3.5.2013. Leuven: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 2013, 302-307
- Pavlík, V., Užáková, M.: Use of zeolite dust in lime mortars. Proc. 17th Conference on the Environment and Mineral Processing. Ostrava, ČR, 6.-.8.6.2013. Ostrava: Technical University of Ostrava, Faculty of Mining and Geology, 2013, 45-50
- Kmecová, V., Unčík, S.: Effect of basalt powder on the rheology of fresh concrete and hardened concrete properties. In: TEAM 2012: Proceedings of the 4th International Scientific and Expert Conference. Slavonski Brod: Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek, 2012, 57-60
- Unčík, S., Struhárová, A., Hlavinková, M., Sabová, A.: Measuring the thermo-technical parameters of aerated autoclaved concrete by dynamic method. In: 5th International Conference on Autoclaved Aerated Concrete: "Securing a sustainable future". Bydgoszcz: University of Technology and Life Sciences Press, 2011, 391-396.
- Ledererová, M.: Use of Some Wastes as Substitutes for Natural Materials in Construction. In: Organization, Technology and Management in Construction. Proceedings of 10th International Conference. Šibenik, Croatia 7.-10.9.2011. Croatian Association for Construction Management, Zagreb, Croatia, 2011.
- Unčík, S., Struhárová, A., Hlavinková, M., Sabová, A.: Effect of Bulk Density and Moisture Content on the Thermo-Technical Properties of Aerated Autoclaved Concrete. In: Organization, Technology and Management in Construction. Proceedings of 10th International Conference. Šibenik, Croatia 7.-10.9.2011. Croatian Association for Construction Management, Zagreb, Croatia, 2011.
- Pavlík, V., Bajza, A., Rouseková, I., Unčik, S, Dubík, M.: Degradation of concrete by flue gases from coal combustion. Cement and Concrete Research 2007, Vol. 37, Iss. 7, 1085-1095.
- Pavlík V.: Effect of carbonates on the corrosion rate of cement mortars in nitric acid. Cement and Concrete Research 2000; Vol. 30, 481–489.
- Pavlík, V.: Effect of air pollution on external lime and lime-cement facades of cultural heritage buildings. In: Quality, environment, health protection and safety management development trends: Proceedings. International scientific conference. Neum, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2.-6.9.2008. - Brno : Tribun EU, 2008, 225-230
- Šveda, M.: Mathematical correlations between properties of brick at various equilibrium humidity content (Part 2), Materials Science, Vol. 13, 2007, No. 1, 52-56
- Šveda, M.: Mathematical correlations between properties of brick in a dried state (Part 1), Materials Science, Vol. 12, 2006, No. 3, 230-236
- Šveda, M.: The effect of black coring on the properties of bricks. Tile & Brick International, Manual 2006, 30 – 36
- Šveda, M.: Effect of water absorption on frost resistance of clay roofing tiles. British Ceramic Transactions, Vol. 102, 2003, No. 1, 43-44
- Bajza, A., Hudoba, I.: Concrete technology in former East European countries: Challenges & Opportunities. In: Cement and Concrete trends and Challenges: Special Volume. Westerville: American Ceramic Society, 2002, 45-56
- Šveda, M.: Frost resistance of brick. American Ceramic Society Bulletin, Vol. 80, 2001, No. 9, 46 – 48
- Pavlík, V.: Water extraction of chloride, hydroxide and other ions from hardened cement pastes. Cement and Concrete Research 2000, Vol. 30, Iss. 6, 895-906
- Šveda, M.: New look at mathematical relationships among physical properties of brick products. British Ceramic Transactions, Vol. 99, 2000, No. 3, 181-186
- Unčík, S., Bajza, A., Rouseková,I.: Protection of Concrete against Acetic and Formic Acid Solutions. Slovak Journal of Civil Engineering, 4, 1997, No. 3, 15-21
- Pavlík, V., Unčík, S.: The Rate of Corrosion of Hardened Cement Pastes and Mortars with Additive of Silica Fume in Acids. Cement and Concrete Research, 27, 1997, No. 11, 1731-1745
- Pavlík, V.: Corrosion of hardened cement paste by acetic and nitric acids. Part III. Influence of water cement ratio. Cement and Concrete Research, 1996, Vol. 26, Iss. 3, 475-490
Fig. 1: Scanning electron microscope
Fig. 2: Laboratory of X-ray diffraction phase analysis
Fig. 3: Laboratories for testing physical and chemical properties of building materials
Fig. 4: Carbonation chamber with test mortar specimens