Check and Assessment of Study in Frame of Course
- Current check and assessment of study within the frame of a course is implemented during an educational part of the semester. Forms of current check and assessment are mainly verification questions, written tests, tasks for individual work, continuous assessment of a project, abstract at seminars, etc.
- Final check and assessment of study results within the frame of a course is implemented after the termination of educational part of semester in the form of assessment, graded assessment, examination or assessment and examination.
- Supervisor makes decisions concerning the check and assessment within the frame of a course; head of a work place that ensures a course makes decisions concerning eventual controversial issues.
Assessment and Graded Assessment
- An assessment proves that a student fulfilled the requirements determined through the study course.
- Graded assessment is an assessment, in the case of which the fulfilment of requirements determined with the way of study course is assessed with a grade. Graded assessment is used for assessment mainly of project works, studio works, laboratory exercises and practical exercises in the courses, in which no examinations are implemented.
- Assessment and graded assessment are given by a teacher who led a given form of educational activities or commission. In reasoned cases (for example teacher’s long-term absence) an assessment or graded assessment can be given by a head of a work place guaranteeing a given course, or by a teacher authorized by the head of a work place.
- Assessment is given usually in the last week of the educational part of semester, nevertheless at the latest till the end of the examination period of the semester in which the given course has been taught.
- Graded assessment is given usually in the last week of the educational part of semester, nevertheless at the latest till the end of the examination period of the next semester of the same academic year.
- Examination is a form of assessment of study results within the frame of a study course, testing students´ knowledge concerning a given course.
- Examinations are implemented in written, verbal or combined form; that means in written and verbal form.
- Result of an examination, which can be continuous assessment, is assessed with a grade. The extent of counting of continuous assessment is determined within the frame of conditions for termination of a given study course.
- Examinations are implemented in an examination period. Dates and places of examinations, examination form, as well as the manner of registering for examinations must be published using an adequate manner, sufficiently in advance.
- Students are examined usually by a teacher who lectured a given course. Based on student’s application, in reasoned cases the rector of the Slovak University of Technology or dean of a faculty of the Slovak University of Technology (if the study programme is implemented at a faculty) change examiner or determine an examination board.
- If a condition for passing a course includes an examination as well as obtaining an assessment, a student can participate in an examination only if he (she) gets an assessment of given course.
- If a student has been awarded grade “insufficient”, he (she) is entitled to one, maximum two resit examinations. The permissible number of resit examinations is determined by the faculty.
- A student is entitled to refuse the result of an examination result; in such case he (she) is assessed by degree “insufficient”.
- A student must pass an examination at the latest till the end of the academic year in which he (she) entered given course.
- Each student has the right to be informed about the assessment of his (her) examination, about mistakes and correct solution.
- Work places guaranteeing a course must ensure the archiving of written examinations and their parts at least for the next academic year.
State Examination (Bachelor`s, Engineer`s and Master`s study programmes)
- Each study programme must include the passing of a state examination(s) as one of the conditions for its passing. Parts of state examination are listed in study programme specification.
- In the case of bachelor’s study programme, a thesis according to section 1 is a bachelor’s thesis.
- In the case of engineer’s or master’s study programme, a thesis according to section 1 is a master’s thesis.
- State examination takes place before an examination board. The course of a state examination and its results publication are open to the public. The examination board takes decision on examination results in a closed session.
- Right to examine in state examination is reserved for university teachers working in positions of professors and docents in the case of bachelor’s study programmes, as well as university teachers working as assistant professors with third degree university education. Scientific Council of the Slovak University of Technology (in the case of study programmes implemented at the university) or scientific council of a faculty of the Slovak University of Technology (in the case of study programmes implemented at a faculty) recognizes a right to examine at state examination to other specialists.
- Members of examination boards for state examinations are chosen by the rector of the Slovak University of Technology (in the case of study programmes implemented at the university) or by a dean of a faculty (in the case of study programmes implemented at a faculty) of persons being entitled to examine. Usually they include in the examination board for state examinations also eminent specialists in the given field from other universities, from legal entities performing research and development in the territory of the Slovak Republic (Act No. 172/2005 Coll.), or from praxis.
- An examination board for state examinations consist of a chairman and another three members.
- State examination and their parts are assessed by a degree. Presentation and defence of thesis are part of state examinations.
- If one part is assessed by degree “insufficient”, total state examination assessment shall be “failed”. Overall result of a state examination is determined as the arithmetic average of the results of individual parts of examination. In the case of the same difference, it is rounded off to a better degree.
- A student assessed at a state examination by degree “insufficient” from one or more examination parts must resit the state examination, but only the parts which have been assessed by degree “insufficient”. If presentation and defence of a thesis were assessed by degree “insufficient”, the examination board determines the extent of thesis rewriting. A student who doesn’t pass a state examination can repeat the examination only once.
Dissertation Examination (Doctoral study programmes)
- A dissertation examination is one of the state examinations.
- A postgraduate student undergoes a dissertation examination after obtaining a minimum 40 credits in full-time doctoral study at the latest 1.5 years from the beginning of study, and in the case of external study within the period of three years from the beginning of study. To undergo a dissertation examination, a postgraduate student must present a written thesis.
- Written thesis for dissertation examination consists of a dissertation thesis project, including current state of knowledge concerning given problems, outline of theoretical basis of their resolving, and analysis of methodical approach to resolving
- Opponent of a written thesis to dissertation examination can only be a specialist with academic degree PhD., ArtD. or DrSc., or an university teacher working as a professor or docent, who doesn’t work at a postgraduate student’s work place and have no common publication with the postgraduate student.
- Dissertation examination consists of a discussion on written thesis to dissertation examination, in which a postgraduate student should prove his (her) theoretical knowledge in the given fields of dissertation examination.
- 6. Dissertation examination takes place before an examination board consisting of minimum four members. The board consists of a chairman and other member who don’t work in an institution where the postgraduate student acts during his (her) study. At least two members of the board are university teachers working as professors or docents; minimum one must work as professor. Only university teachers working as professors and docents, as well as other specialists approved by the Scientific Council of the Slovak University of Technologies or a faculty (if the study programme is implemented at a faculty), are entitled to examine. Chairman and other members of examination board and fields of verbal part of examination is determined by rector or dean (if the study programme is implemented at a faculty) based on the proposal of a study field commission. Postgraduate student’s supervisor takes part at a dissertation examination; nevertheless he (she) has no right to vote about its result.
- Valid resolution on the result of dissertation examination requires the presence of an absolute majority of board members. Examination board decides on examination result at a closed session by the majority of votes of present members. In the case of equality of votes, the chairman’s opinion is decisive.
- Course of dissertation examination is assessed by the examination board by degree “passed” or “failed”.
- Minutes about the course of dissertation examination are written, also including opponent’s opinion concerning the written thesis. Minutes are signed by the chairman and present members of the board.
- If a postgraduate student can’t take part in a dissertation examination on the determined day for serious reasons and apologizes to the chairman of examination board at the latest five days prior to the date of examination, the chairman can determine an alternative date. In such case the postgraduate student is obliged to report his (her) sickness absence also to the chairman of examination board. Postgraduate student’s withdrawal from examination or unexcused absence from examination is assessed by the grade “failed”.
- A postgraduate student who failed an examination can repeat the examination only once – after three months. Repeated failing of a dissertation examination is reason for exclusion of the student from doctoral study.
Presentation and Defence of Dissertation Thesis (Doctoral study programmes)
- Board assessing the presentation of a dissertation thesis consists of a chairman and minimum five members. If an external institution or foreign university participates in the implementation of a study programme, a board consists of six members; members from the Slovak University of Technology and from partner educational institution are represented equally. Chairman and minimum one member of a board are chosen from among the members of a study field commission. Minimum two board members are university teachers – professors or docents. At the presentation and defence of a dissertation thesis, opponents are also considered to be members of a board having right to vote. Postgraduate student’s supervisor takes part at dissertation examination, nevertheless he (she) has no right to vote about its result.
- Procedure of presentation and defence of dissertation thesis is regulated by a binding regulation issued by the rector of the Slovak University of Technology.
- A board decides by secret ballot on result of presentation and defence of dissertation thesis.
- If a postgraduate student doesn’t defend his (her) dissertation thesis, the board specifies in which extent he (she) must rewrite the thesis.
- If rector or a dean (if the study programme is implemented at a faculty) finds that a course of presentation and defence of a dissertation thesis didn’t follow the procedure determined in section 2, he (she) orders to repeat it.
- The Slovak University of Technology can conclude an agreement on common presentations and defences of dissertation theses in accredited doctoral study programmes with a foreign university if the legal regulations of a state, in which territory given foreign university works allow to do so.
- According to section 6, if there is an agreement with a foreign university, presentation and defence of dissertation thesis of a postgraduate student of the Slovak University of Technology can take place at the foreign university before a board assessing dissertation thesis presentation, in which the members from Slovak party and members appointed by the foreign university are represented equally. Number of board members is determined according to section 1. Presentation and defence of a dissertation thesis of a postgraduate student of foreign university in the Slovak Republic is implemented in the same manner.
- Document on granting an academic title based on the successful presentation of a dissertation thesis before a board assessing dissertation thesis presentation according to section 7 issued by a foreign university is recognized in the Slovak Republic.